Friday 18 April 2008

Summer's (kinda) here

I'm taking a break from the incessent writing of cricket previews.
There's still over a week to go before the season starts but already I seem to have been up to my eyeballs in different teams from a shed load of different leagues discussing their plans for the new season.
I think only one hasn't mentioned promotion this season so far so there are going to be a few who are disappointed but I guess fair play to them because if you don't have hope now then you never will.
So far Coalville and Long Eaton sides are done, just two sides to finish off for Nu News and while the majority of the Loughborough stuff is done, there's still some more to do.
The problem with the cricket season is that unlike with football you tend to get so much literature sent through as well which you end up reading. No doubt it will be great when things calm down and i'll go back to having less to do on a Thursday and Friday but at the minute I keep picking up Wisden to read something and then feeling the need to check up on Leicestershire's score rather than doing as much as I can before next week's chaotic 're-launch' week. This isn't keeping me from work though as I've been told I must update. :)

On Tuesday I saw a strange game between Loughborough Dynamo and Coventry Sphinx. Loughborough won 5-0 to set up tomorrow's trip to third placed Market Drayton with all of the goals coming in the first half. Strangely Coventry Sphinx were arguably the better side in that first half, two minutes into which their only goal keeper was carried off injured.
They looked a good side with a couple of very talented players and if they get a bit more commitment from their players (one of their numbers apparently rang up the manager to say he couldn't play hours before the game because he had tooth ache) and they dont' concentrate on the FA Vase so much, then they may well be right up there challenging for the Midland Alliance title next year.
Hopefully by that time Loughborough will be well established in the Unibond.

No comments: